Monday, September 2, 2013

Disc 48 / 48

One of the reasons I first made the Timothology back in 1996 was to share the highlights of my CD collection with friends. If I remember right, another reason was to make the complete history of rock and pop in America; I kind of did that, but out of order and with a bunch of mutant songs mixed in as well. That reason is still there for Strange Aeons, but my musical tastes have become broader and deeper (and thank goodness for that development). I'm still trying to give people stacks of tracks they'd never encountered before and I would guess that this set is going to be a success in that regard.

This disc is meant to thank everyone who clued me in to a track I'd never heard before and that I enjoyed. It's also a fitting way to wrap up the mix. It's also also meant to be linked with discs 46 and 47--songs from people who are no longer with us, a celebration of a producer that killed himself 45 years ago, and then all the new things I had no idea about; thankfully, my friends are looking out for me and they've sent me YouTube links or burned their own CDs to let me know about some cool stuff that I needed in my life.

These aren't the only songs on the set that someone else told me about, of course; every single disc has something on it that I wouldn't have known about unless I got super lucky and heard it on Pandora or something. The radio in the Detroit area is virtually useless for uncovering new stuff, but the internet and my friends are great sources for music I hadn't heard.

So. Until next time--if there is a next time--this is the final playlist for any Timothology. I hope you like it.

Timothology:  Strange Aeons Disc 48 / 48
Theme:  Songs my friends hipped me to
Label phrase:  "With a little help from my friends"

01) Beepin Squeal / Bob Kelly
02) Roadrunner / The Modern Lovers
03) Bad Girls Go to Hell / The Forbidden Dimension
04) Rochambeau (explicit version) / The Spider Bombs
05) Telstar (live) / The Tornados
06) Waterloo / ABBA
07) Waterloo / Stonewall Jackson
08) El Paso / Marty Robbins
09) Crucify Your Mind / Rodriguez
10) A Little Respect / Erasure
11) We Take Care of Our Own / Bruce Springsteen
12) Rudi (A Message To You) / Jump Around / Woman If You Love Me (medley) / The Lidds
13) Soy Bomb / Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives
14) Turkish Song of the Damned / The Pogues
15) Superbeast / Rob Zombie
16) Skylab (Theme from the Monks) / The Monks
17) Monk Chant (live) / The Monks
18) Missile Silo / Crunchy
19) La Bomba / Tonio K.
20) (It'll Be) Just Like Tron / The Cooper Vane
21) This Time Next Year / Pat McCurdy
22) Handlebars / Flobots
23) Clean Elvis / Dan Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment