Saturday, July 20, 2013

Disc 03 / 48

There are rules that I set down for myself when I'm making a Timothology disc. Without at least a little structure, the project is too overwhelming and formless to make a really good showing. Here's the general rules list:

-Each song on the Timothology only shows up once.
-Each artist only shows up on a given disc once.
-There is a version of the instrumental "Telstar" on each disc.
-There is a Joe Meek-produced song on each disc.

Past that, there's a lot of leeway when putting a track list together (iTunes has made Timothology creation orders of magnitude easier than it used to be). I try to put songs in order that make some sense and that lead into each other pretty well ("I Wanna Be Sedated" is just as great a rock song as "My Sharona", so I grouped them together on this one). I also try to mix genres up at least a little bit, but this particular disc is pretty vanilla. There's no reggae, funk or R&B on it, just a bunch of straightforward pop and rock with a handful of covers and the original of "I Fought the Law", which is kind of the opposite of a cover track. It's an original that got eclipsed by a more famous cover version.

And, of course, it's a mix I came up with so there's something completely outside mainstream sensibilities on it. This time, it's a song from the point of view of the guy who confessed on his deathbed that he'd faked the famous Loch Ness Monster photo decades ago, played by an all-accordion band. One of the reasons I made the Timothology was so I could share some of the odder contents of my CD collection. I hope when people give the discs a spin they don't skip over the more obscure and unconventional tracks.

Timothology:  Strange Aeons Disc 03/ 48
Theme:  None
Label phrase:  "Shark alarm. Raise the black flag. Shark alarm."

01)  Stack-a-Records / Tom Tall
02)  Post Post-Modern Man / Devo
03)  Crawdaddy Simone / The Syndicats
04)  Fender Stratocaster / Jonathan Richman
05)  I Wanna Be Sedated / The Ramones
06)  My Sharona / The Knack
07)  Telstar / The Spitballs
08)  California Sun / The Rivieras
09)  Safety Dance / Big Daddy
10)  I Fought the Law / The Crickets
11)  You Might Think / The Cars
12)  One Toke Over the Line / Brewer & Shipley
13)  Run Runaway / Great Big Sea
14)  Yakety Yak / The Coasters
15)  Brickfield Nights / A-BOYS
16)  Dancing With Myself / Billy Idol
17)  Walk, Don't Run '64 / The Ventures
18)  Big Bad John / Jimmy Dean
19)  My Boyfriend's Back / The Raveonettes
20)  Deathbed Confession / Those Darn Accordions!
21)  This Thing / Sgt. Bilk's Krazy Combo
22)  Blockbuster / The Sweet
23)  Six Days on the Road / Taj Mahal
24)  Hall of the Mountain King / Sounds Incorporated
25)  Maybe Tomorrow / The Chords
26)  Gary Gilmore's Eyes / The Adverts
27)  The Fang / Nervous Norvus
28)  Scary Picture Show / Riot Squad (Texas)
29)  Social End Product / The Bluestars

3 comments:

  1. This disc was as close as possible to the complete opposite of the last one for me. I knew the majority of the songs, whether from other Timothologies or in general. It also tended to stay pretty close to my particular musical wheelhouse, in that it contains a decent amount of basic pop and rockabilly, and doesn't tend to have a lot of heavily orchestrated or complex songs. Lots here I had heard before, but was happy as heck to hear again, especially as I'd never think to listen to Dancing With Myself. It's obviously an amazing song, but I'd just never think to put it on, so having it come up and realizing what I'm missing is a service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has a lot of gold-standard rock and pop on it--"Yakety Yak", "My Sharona", "California Sun", "Dancing With Myself", etc. I can't remember my exact mental process at the time but I think I wanted to kind of ease people into the set by playing a lot of good, familiar, enjoyable tracks.

    Of course, I still put that all-accordion song about faking a photo of the Loch Ness Monster on this disc, so it wasn't 100% conventional.

    "You Might Think" is my favorite track by the Cars. Though "Hello Again" would probably have been a good choice as well, and possibly on disc 01 instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize now that I will never make it through this entire collection if I put detailed recaps for each one.

    This disc was solid. Nice mix of familiar favorites and new niftiness. Particular standouts among the new songs were 20 and 24.

    ReplyDelete