Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Disc 19 / 48

This sure is an upbeat disc for all the negativity in it--pretty heavy on the doo wop and British Invasion, which are two genres that have lots of uptempo tracks to pick from. I like the paradox--bouncy upbeat songs with negative language. Sort of like how the lyrics to "Have I the Right" by the Honeycombs (possibly the single best pop song ever recorded) look like a suicide note if you read them without the music.

My friend Dennis Leise is one of the Possum Hollow Boys; I only get to see him once a year at B Fest, since he's smart enough to live in Chicago and I'm not. They're quite good, and they have an album on iTunes. I like being able to plug my friends' bands. Unfortunately the superlative pop-punk group Grover Kent doesn't have an iTunes presence, so I will just give you a couple album / EP titles for you to enjoy:  "Me, Myself and Your Mother" and "Selling Doors, Door to Door".

Timothology:  Strange Aeons Disc 19 / 48
Theme:  Musical negativity
Label phrase:  "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE"

01)  Rio Yeti / Cory McAbee and Gregory Russell Cook
02)  No Sleep Till Brooklyn / The Beastie Boys
03)  Questions I Can't Answer / Heinz
04)  I Can't Explain / The Who
05)  Don't Hang Up / The Orlons
06)  Nobody Knows What's Goin' On (In My Mind But Me) / The Chiffons
07)  Don't Let's Start / They Might Be Giants
08)  The Brain is Not the Mind / Dan Reeder
09)  Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying / Gerry and the Pacemakers
10)  Never Had Nuthin' / The Possum Hollow Boys
11)  Time Won't Let Me / The Outsiders
12)  You Can't Sit Down (Part 1) / The Philip Upchurch Combo
13)  Don't Come Around Here No More / Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
14)  Someday Never Comes / Creedence Clearwater Revival
15)  Stop / Howard Tate
16)  Don't You Just Know It / Chuck and the Hulas
17)  I Can't Get You Off My Mind / Hank Williams
18)  Don't Put Marbles In Your Nose / Brendan Small
19)  No Feelings / The Sex Pistols
20)  Can't Get Enough of You, Baby / ? and the Mysterians
21)  Ain't It / Booker T. and the MG's
22)  (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet / The Blues Magoos
23)  It Doesn't Matter to Me / Devo
24)  Nobody Told Me / John Lennon
25)  Telstar / Hot Butter
26)   Can't Seem to Make You Mine / The Seeds
27)  Nobody Loves the Hulk / The Traits
28)  Don't Get Me Wrong / The Pretenders
29)  No, No, No / The Chanters
30)  You Can't Stop the Music / The Kinks

No comments:

Post a Comment