Friday, July 19, 2013

Disc 02 / 48

Sometimes I do a theme for a disc; most of the time I don't. This time, since it wound up being eight years since my last mix, I decided that the second disc should be full of music that had never been used on any iteration of the Timothology before. I have no idea if I'm completely 100% right on this one since I no longer have the tapes for 1996 or 1998 but I am quite certain that nobody other than me would ever be able to figure that out one way or the other. I could have cheated and just used music that was released after the last set, but where would the fun or challenge be in doing it that way?

Incidentally, the theme discs are never the only example of that theme to be found on the entire Timothology--there are songs on disc 01 that had never been used on any previous mix and there will be songs throughout the entire collection that fit all of the various themes at one spot or another.

There's also an inside joke in here--the track "1993" pinched its melody from a song that, if you know me in 1993, you heard a lot. A LOT. So the people who clocked more than two decades knowing me and also have a Timothology get a reference that the other seven billion people in the world won't.

Timothology:  Strange Aeons Disc 02/ 48
Theme:  None of these songs have ever been used in any Timothology
Label phrase:  "Dial T for Fiasco!"

01)  Trains / The Nashville Ramblers
02)  Play Those Oldies, Mr. Dee Jay / Anthony and the Sophomores
03)  Rockin' and Rollin' / W. L. Horning
04)  New York Groove / Hello
05)  Pico and Sepulveda / Felix Figueroa and His Orchestra
06)  1993 / Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
07)  Zambesi / Lou Busch
08)  Feel Like Suicide / D Generation
09)  Polka Dot Undies / Bowser and Blue
10)  B-I-Bickey-Bi, Bo-Bo-Go / Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps
11)  Seven Day Weekend / Gary U. S. Bonds
12)  Telstar / Andre Brasseur
13)  Ace of Spades / Motorhead
14)  Here it Goes Again / OK Go
15)  Live It Up! / Heinz
16)  How Can I Sing Like a Girl? / They Might Be Giants
17)  I Wonder / Rodriguez
18)  Double Dutch / Malcolm McLaren
19)  Twitchy / Rene Hall
20)  Kitty / Racey
21)  Dance the Night Away / The Forces of Evil
22)  Rock Me My Baby / Buddy Holly
23)  Gamma Ray / Beck
24)  When My Boy Walks Down the Street / The Magnetic Fields
25)  God's Gonna Cut You Down / Johnny Cash
26)  My Home is In Chicago (But My Heart's In Tennessee) / The Possum Hollow Boys
27)  Without Love / Tonio K.

2 comments:

  1. True story, when I went to listen to this particular disc, I said to myself, "OK, I'm not going to look in advance, I'm going to try to figure out the theme from listening to it."

    I'm sure you can imagine how well that worked out.

    In other news, I hadn't heard POLKA DOT UNDIES, probably since hearing it on Dr. D as a teen. I didn't realize at the time that it was poking fun at Bob Dylan. Or that it would be the first of three songs I would hear in my lifetime that were designed to ape the Dylan sound.

    "Ape the Dylan" would be a good band name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Even if you had all the previous Timothologies I don't think you'd be able to suss out the theme. And IIRC disc three doesn't have a theme at all, so don't try to figure one out. There is no answer. But keep looking anyway!

    ReplyDelete