Thursday, July 18, 2013

Disc 01 / 48

There has been a Timothology of one kind or another since 1996. I used to make literal mixtapes as a hobby and eventually decided to do the complete history of pop and rock music in America, but out of order because I didn't want to get stuck with strict chronology. The 1996 and 1998 Timothologies were both on tape, but I no longer have the masters or copies; they're gone to the ages. I bought my first CD burner in 2000 and had to manually set the levels for each song as well as manually start and stop the recordings for each track. It took about two and a half hours to burn a 74 minute disc with the equipment I had, and copying the discs took place in real time (an hour and change for a 70 minute disc).  Since then I've bought different CD burners and duplicators and now just use the burner in my desktop PC to copy a 77- minute disc in under five minutes or so.

As the technology made it easier to copy discs, the Timothology grew from an 18-disc set in 2000 to a 24-disc set in 2002 to a 32-disc set in 2005 and a 48-disc set in 2013 (which I started making master playlists for in 2010). The 2002, 2005 and 2013 set sizes were chosen because there were CD wallets that would hold that many discs. The next size up is 64. If there are still music CD-Rs in 2022 that's apparently what I'll be doing for the next iteration of the Timothology. My hobby has gone from being beyond the cutting edge to just a thing lots of people did to retro while my methods remained largely unchanged. This amuses me.

The current set is called Timothology:  Strange Aeons, a nod to Lovecraft as well as the realization that I've been making mixtapes for more than twenty years (and people who have the older versions can chart my changing musical tastes from set to set). Some of the discs have themes; some are just a lot of songs stuck together because I liked the order they were in.

The first disc is my overture; like every version of the Timothology going back to 1996 it starts with the Joe Meek composition "Telstar", a song I will never actually shut up about. The rest of the playlist is a selection of songs I place in the top 1% of pop and rock--there are a lot of songs as good as this stuff, but nothing better. And as a second theme, these are all songs that I tend to sing along with in the car. My apologies to all travel companions who tried to have an actual conversation with me when I started singing along with Bo Diddley out of nowhere.

Timothology:  Strange Aeons Disc 01 / 48
Theme:  Return to the Project and Overture
Label phrase:  "Here is another bunch of music."

01)  Telstar / The Tornados
02)  Johnny On Top / The New Math (Jet Black Berries)
03)  Shombalor / Sheriff and the Revels
04)  Sheena is a Punk Rocker (ABC single version) / The Ramones
05)  I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead / "Weird Al" Yankovic
06)  Wait a Minute / Tim Tam and the Turnons
07)  True Confessions / Tonio K.
08)  Make a Circuit With Me / The Polecats
09)  Career Opportunities / The Clash
10)  Brontosaurus Stomp / The Piltdown Men
11)  Wig-Wam Bam / The Sweet
12)  My Sweet Love / John Mellencamp
13)  Total Eclipse of the Heart / Hurra Torpedo
14)  Oh L'Amour / Erasure
15)  Vultan's Theme (Attack of the Hawkmen) / Queen
16)  Love Missile F1-11 / Sigue Sigue Sputnik
17)  Song Away / Hockey
18)  She Drives Me Crazy / Fine Young Cannibals
19)  Pills / Bo Diddley
20)  Riot Squad / Cock Sparrer
21)  AKA Driver / They Might Be Giants
22)  Radio Nowhere (album version) / Bruce Springsteen
23)  Devil's Right Hand / Johnny Cash
24)  Pizza Pie / Norman Fox and the Rob Roys with Sid Bass and His Orchestra
25)  Jilted John / Jilted John
26)  Story of My Life / Social Distortion

6 comments:

  1. First, I should say I read this post before I listened, but didn't actually remember the tracks. From this point on, I'm going to read about the discs ONLY after I've listened to them.

    Some scattered thoughts:

    I was really happy knowing that the first thing I was going to hear when getting into my car was Telstar. That's kinda lovely to know that the first thing you'll be hearing is a very special thing.

    It's nice hearing a few songs that I don't "know" but remember from my last Timothology, which was a while back. Wig Wam Bam etc.

    The first song I sung along to was (predictably enough for folks who know me) Career Opportunities.

    Though I know about Track 13s, I was TOTALLY CAUGHT OFF GUARD, and was driving along laughing my fool head off with the windows down blasting insanity.
    "Wait, what...what is this...is this...it's..it's Total Eclipse of the Heart! OH MY GOD IT'S SO BAD. WHY IS THIS ON HERE? HAHAHAHA OH MAN IT'S TRACK 13, I FORGOT!!!

    I loved the 17-18 sequence--so excessively poppy in a way that might generally bother me, but in this case, I really loved it.

    And the last 4 tracks are pretty much perfect. I stayed in my car in the work parking lot to finish them.

    On to disc 2 on the way home, assuming I don't re-listen to a few tracks from disc 1 instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words--I'm especially happy to see that you got the significance of Track Thirteen pretty much instantly. And yeah, that's a performance from a Finnish (?) band called Hurra Torpedo. They were a pre-YouTube viral video sensation when their performance on a talk show of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" arranged for bass, stove, freezer and other stove being smacked with a microphone stand got handed around all over the place.

    If I make another Timothology in the future, "OH MY GOD IT'S SO BAD. WHY IS THIS ON HERE?" will be the label phrase for disc 13.

    I was at least a little into punk when I met you, but my appreciation of The Clash is pretty much down to you.

    "Pizza Pie" is the shortest rock opera ever written. And the band name is practically longer than the song as well. Rhino Records did magnificent work with their doo-wop box sets and I'm happy to pass the songs around to other people so they can enjoy the wonderfulness as well.

    Lastly, "I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead" is a mission statement for the set and for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Songs I subconsciously expected when reading this list:

    - Make a Circuit With Me
    - Sheena is a Punk Rocker
    - Shombalor

    Pleasant surprises when reading this list:

    - Wig Wam Bam
    - Oh L'Amour
    - Vultan's Theme

    Clear Conflicts of the heart (both of us) when reading this list:

    - Battleship Chains

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not till disc 04 this time, I'm afraid. If I did less than forty drafts of the first disc it would surprise me, and a LOT of genuinely great material got cut for time or shuffled to another disc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latecomer here--an excellent listen. Great blend of awesome songs I already knew, and awesome songs I hadn't heard yet. Three quick thoughts..

    - I have mixed feelings about John Mellencamp. I am grateful that, at no point I noticed during the song, he sang about being in or from a small town.

    - This is actually my favorite performance of Total Eclipse of the Heart of all time. I enjoy it even more than the 'literal music video' version.

    - Standout new (to me) songs: Radio Nowhere and Devil's Right Hand.

    Thanks again, Tim, for inviting me on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cats, I got a new comment! Heya, Spencer, glad to have you listening to the set and gratified that you dig it so far.

    That Mellencamp track has a Bo Diddley beat, British invasion lyrics and a Buddy Holly guitar part. Therefore it is awesome. I think it's the best thing he's done in at least ten or fifteen years.

    One down, 47 to go. Looking forward to your comments on the other discs. In general, people have the following reactions:

    -I haven't heard this in FOREVER, and I love it!
    -I never heard this before, and it's awesome!
    -THIS IS SO BAD. WHY IS THIS ON HERE?

    I'm always interested to see which tracks are in which category with people.

    ReplyDelete